Most parents always inquire tips on how to help their children with their screen time. Here are a couple of recommendations we always share with our patients.
- Spend 2 hours a day outdoors (Studies have shown it can slow down the initiation of myopia progression)
- Spend less than 1 hour of screen time per day if it is not related to school work.
- Proper lighting. Make sure your room eliminates any glare from external sources such as the windows.
- Blink! We usually blink about 15 times a minute. When we are performing a near task, we blink about 3 times a minute which can cause dry eye/irritation to our eyes.
- Monitor placement. Make sure your computer is 15-20 degrees below eye level and your computer is approximately 40-75cm away
- Avoid reading or using a cell phone in bed.
- Practice the 20/20/20 rule. 20 minutes close up work, 20 seconds break and look at an object at least 20 feet away.
If you are worried about your child’s vision or eye health, please book an appointment with us.
We can help!